Power windows are controlled by switches and wires and are powered by battery or electricity. Power windows do not function if the ignition of the car is not turned on. The power windows do not have manual handles as we have in the traditional windows. The basic power window allows the driver to control all the four windows.
Mechanism Of Power Windows
- The door on the driver’s side is powered by an optimized 20-amp circuit breaker.
- The power from the circuit-breaker is transmitted to a contact point in the center, where the wirings of all the four windows meet, through the window switch control panel.
- The dual power ends are directly connected to the electric motor or the battery.
- When a switch is pressed, one of the two ends gets disconnected from the vehicle ground and gets connected to the powerpoint at the center. This distributes the power to the rest of the windows.
In terms of technology the power window system is one of the most advanced systems normally found in modern cars. In addition to that recently many advanced and high-end automobiles are equipped with various powered components such as power doors, power windows, and power ORVMs. In such cases, car manufacturers find it extremely difficult to convene all the wires together in one. That is why all the wires are merged into one module, and thus all the controls are monitored. Since all the wires are merged into a single module, the power gets transmitted directly to the central wire module and then to all the four windows, at just the press of a button by the driver.
Keeping aside the generic feature of the windows being rolled up and down with just the touch of a button, the power windows come with some unique features that make them more user-friendly and convenient. These features can be summed up as follows
- Automatic Up-side Motion: This has a certain complication and it is not very common. The automatic up-side motion works in the same way as the automatic down-side motion. However, the automatic up-side motion can be risky. While the window goes up, if anything gets in the way of the window, like a child’s hand or a pet dog or cat’s paw, it is highly likely to injure them. As the window won’t stop until it hits the limit switch, it engages a risk of an accident. The only way out of this problem is the introduction of another circuit into the system that can monitor the speed at which the window rolls up. As the speed is slowed down due to an obstruction, the circuit reverses the power back to the motor and the window goes down.
- Courtesy Power-On Feature: As discussed earlier, power windows can only function, if the ignition of the vehicle is on. However, some cars have power windows that have a courtesy power backup and that basically allows the window to function even when the engine is turned off. In case you forget to roll up your windows, this feature saves you from the hassle of turning your ignition on again, just to pull the windows up.
- Automatic Down-side Motion: This feature is most common in almost every power window. This feature allows the user to make the windows go all the way down by just tapping the button once. The system uses a circuit to monitor the amount of time that the switch was held down. If the switch is held down for less than a second, the window goes down all the way to hit the limit switch and stops there. In case the button is held down for a longer time, the circuit analyses the time and stops rolling the window down as soon as the button is released.
One could see power windows in almost every high-end automobile and now even the standard and the mid-ranged car have begun to adopt that feature. The power window eliminates the hurdle of the traditional handles which needed a lot of effort and time to open or shut the windows.
- The driver can easily operate the windows with just a touch of his finger and he can even operate the windows while driving.
- This window works like a charm and can be really helpful at times of hand injuries
- All windows can be easily operated by the driver via master power panel
Enjoy Reliable Services With WeGo2U Mobile Mechanic
Here at WeGo2U Mobile Mechanic, our team of expert professionals with years of experience can offer a verity of inspection and diagnostics, so we can properly analyze the issue and provide you the best result. By using our service you can enjoy reliable repairs and automobile maintenance while enjoying the comforts of your premises. Hence to schedule your affordable and honest service today, feel free to call us on (949) 288-3509